Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Lesson #3: Framing--due July 19th!

On the edge!
  • Use foreground elements to frame your photo's subject.
  • Architectural elements work well (windows, doorways, arches, and so on), but you can find any number of interesting elements to use for framing your photos.
  • Make sure not to overpower the subject!
  • This might be a good lesson to begin practicing depth-of-field. (we will have an upcoming lesson that addresses this more fully!) D of F is the distance in front of and behind the subject that appears to be in focus. By adjusting your aperture and zoom, you can force the camera to focus on subjects farther back in the scene.
Examples:

Resources:
Spend this next week framing pictures in a variety of ways and post your favorite shots on our Flickr site. Remember that framing can be done in nature as well as with man-made things such as doorways and windows.

Let us know that you're playing along. In the comments, tell us about a door that you walked through that changed your life.

2 comments:

JJB said...

Here I am!!
The door that most recently changed my life in a big way was the door of my former employer. On December 29, 2008 I walked out of that door for the last time. On my own initiative, I had quit my design job to pursue a career as a teacher. Although I still have yet to find a full-time position, I haven't thought twice about walking out that door.

Linda said...

Wow, it seems like there have been lots of doors I've been through. I think of one, though it is really more of a gate---crossing through the gate at the US/Mexico border. Heading to Mexico on mission trips has become a passion of mine and a place where I find fulfillment.